27 July 2018

Hellsing Ultimate: overall series impression

"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame"

  • I can summarize in 2 words: BEAUTIFUL. STUNNING. Animation, artwork, voicing and music. Everything.
  • My favorite way of watching this show is English dub + English subtitles. The dub is just.so.awesome. The accents are fun to hear. (I need subtitles because the dub is not 100% faithful).
  • Some people say that this show is pure action sequence entertainment. I disagree. It's a very characters-driven story. The complexity of the characters actually make it brilliant. While the plot isn't much, there are so many meaningful subtleties that make you THINK. I always love anime/fiction/movies that can make me THINK. It is such a spectacle; it rings with a deep, philosophical exploration of humanity, of good and evil, and characters so nuanced and real!
  • THE CHARACTER DESIGN OF ALUCARD IS FUCKING COOL! Uniquely interesting. Alucard >>> any other vampire ever. of all time. He is the absolute pinnacle of vampire fiction.
  • Not in every vampire fiction can you see Dracula adopting a child and taking on a fatherly role. Not in any other vampire fiction can you see Dracula transform into a girl. XD
  • Alucard’s personality is so strong but it doesn't make other characters shrink. 
  • I do not agree with the series' take on human superiority (I'll talk more about this on r/hellsing).
  • I love the ways female characters are portrayed in Hellsing! It's not the typical shoujo girls we often see. Both of our main females are strong-minded women who kick asses. (Alucard has good taste! LOL).
  • The downside of this series? To me, the biggest appeal was Alucard and that made some episodes without him a bit boring to watch at times.
  • I want to see a more flashbacks of Alucard's past life, and how Integra grew up under the guardianship of Alucard and Walter.
Overall, HELLSING ULTIMATE has set the standard for vampires. I won't enjoy other vampire fictions in which the main vampire fails to overshadow Alucard.
I can give this series 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment